Moments before the race

Author: M. / Labels: , , , ,

April 8th, 2011


Fully equipped!

Swim cap
Swim goggles
Swim ear plugs
Swim ear (in case I do get any water in there)
Biking jersey
Bike shorts
Helmet
Timing watch
Deodorant (I will *definitely* need that!)
Water bottle
Gatorade mix
2 packs of Vitamin C (extra breakfast immune-system boost)
Whey Protein (part of my post-race recovery)
Hand blender (for the lazy ones)
Energy bars (more than enough)
Energy gels (shitloads!)
One band aid (probably worthless)
Spare tube
Tire levers
Micro inflator (did you think I'll carry a whole pump with me?)
2 CO2 canisters (juuust in case...)
Bike computer (gotta know how fast I'm going)
Running shoes
Running socks (yes, special ones)
Baseball cap (haven't worn one for years!)
A pimp cane (in case I am unable to walk afterwards)
And of course, MY BIKE!


The big day is finally here. I am only a few hours away from my 70.3 Ironman race.

After months of grueling training, waking up at 5am almost every day, healthy nutrition...

WHO AM I KIDDING???

Sure, I have been "preparing" for this race since September, but my preparation has been far more mental than anything else. My training has been far from the typical training scheduled recommended for an Ironman challenge. I have not been exercising 15 hours a week. Perhaps closer to 4-5. I have not been depriving myself from the simple pleasures of a chocolate cake or a juicy burger. I have not been keeping a steady sleeping pattern as I supposedly should.

And yet, do I feel ready? ABSOLUTELY!

Just because I have not been training like a mad man, does not mean I've been getting my exercise through watching the Health & Fitness channel. I've been swimming, running, biking (with my new baby) and doing everything within my grasp without putting the rest of my life on hold. At this point, I do have to say that the biggest benefit of my fitness came through boot camps training. I joined a local group called Synergy Fitness thanks to a friend's recommendation and it was the best thing I could have done. I would go as often as possible, to get my arse kicked every afternoon in the park, but a couple of months down the line, I could already see a huge difference!

More than anything though, I've been trying to prepare myself mentally. I remind you, this is something that always seemed to be beyond my reach. I never saw myself capable of even attempting it, yet I am about to make it a reality. The past 2 weeks I have been focusing on nothing but calming down, visualizing the finish line and convincing myself I can do this. I will not fail! If I have to crawl and bleed in order to cross that finish line, I will! I have faith in myself and my abilities and that's all that matters!

Time now to put it all to use! I have all my necessary gear ready and the only thing separating me from the toughest challenge I have ever taken up is a few hours of sleep.

Sunday. 7am. 1.2mile swim, 56mile bike ride, 13.1 mile run.

I've never done anything like this before. It's about to happen!

Wish me luck!

M.

1 comments:

Ara said...

*One* band aide... hahaha. I love it! =)
That's quite an interesting collection of things you're taking with you. It sounds like the sort of stuff MacGyver could use to make a rocket.

Good luck, brother! I have no doubt at all that you will make it. =)

Post a Comment