Halloween New Orleans style

Author: M. / Labels: , ,

Halloween is known all around the world for being a day of scary costumes, creepy decorations and parties till dawn. Some countries celebrate it while others don't. Some people dress up as a disgusting zombie, and others choose to go for the look of the slutty nurse. The people of New Orleans take things to the next level. They don't wear a costume; they are reborn! They don't decorate; they recreate! They don't party; they take the city hostage!



This city has a lot of history when it comes to the "undead", fictional monsters or however you want to classify these existences; There is the big voodoo culture and also lots of vampire fans (people not only believing in vampires, but also believing they ARE vampires), with Anne Rice as their queen.



There is also a large number of haunted houses and general hauntedness. :)


This is just someone's front yard.

Thus, no wonder everyone goes the extra mile and spend hours, perhaps even days preparing their costumes. Not to mention how they decorate their houses!





We went out both friday and saturday, but the 31st was the big shebang. With a bunch of locals I had been hooked up with, we had already picked our theme: Alice in Wonderland. Wasn't too hard for your truly to pick a character. The March Hare was obviously all mine!



I guess being New Orleans n all, I decided to make the extra effort for my costume, so not only did I pick out some sweet march hare clothes, but I also decided to build my very own march hare head. Or should I say, for the purposes of the celebration, a March Scare head!



And out we went! The place to be is Frenchmen street. Thousands and thousands of people gather up there, dressed up as anything you can possibly imagine. From the typical zombie, to swan lake, I saw Rubik's Cubes, smurfs, Towelie (yeap, special appearance), known and unknown monsters, rock stars, all sorts of fruit and the list goes on... I was amazed at the creativity and imagination of not only specific individuals, but every single person that was out on the streets. Everyone made extra effort and the result was spectacular!


The crew. About to go down the rabbit hole. ;)

Never before have I seen such a diverse parade of people being the most extraordinary of existences!!




Vicious vampire vs. cute stuffed bear. I was too traumatised to sit and watch who won.


Kiss alongside the March Hare and Chewbacka? Which movie was that in?




A cup o' tea with the Mad Hatter.

I partied all night long with random, wonderful people in the streets, only to end up sleeping on the inflatable mattress at the house of alternative energy and the tape worm.



I was told that halloween in Austin was pretty rad and the photos I saw were quite impressive. But the Nawlins experience was definitely something to remember!

M.

1 comments:

Stephanie Schutz said...

New Orleans is always spooky and actually scary for some good reasons. The crime there is serious. Yes, many really believe in voodoo there. I haven't been there since Katrina ravaged the town. Glad to hear it's in full swing again.

Post a Comment